American Nurses Association
(ANA) collaborated with Avalere to explore using optimal nurse staffing models to achieve improvements in patient outcomes. We highlight key findings that show how optimal staffing is essential to providing quality patient care. We also explore staffing models to expand thinking beyond nurse-to-patient ratios.
With a new perspective and additional insights, you'll be able to identify key factors that influence nurse staffing, such as:
- Patient complexity, acuity, or stability.
- Number of admissions, discharges, and transfers.
- Professional nursing and other staff skill level and expertise.
- Physical space and layout of the nursing unit.
- Availability of technical support and other resources.
- Learn ANA's 7 Core Components of Nurse Staffing